OKC apartment complex fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Posted on Thursday, December 10th, 2020 at 7:33 pm    

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Oklahoma City firefighters determined that last Thursday’s apartment complex fire was caused by an overloaded extension cord, reports KFOR.

Officials say firefighters responded to the apartment fire in the 5700 block of NW 16th Street. When they arrived, they found a downstairs apartment ablaze, with flames coming from the window. After quickly extinguishing the fire, firefighters determined that an overloaded extension cord was the source of the conflagration.

The Oklahoma City fire department warned: “From a simple candle being inadvertently knocked over to a space heater being placed too close to a couch; from ignoring the frying pan to improperly disposing of cigarettes- small acts can lead to huge consequences! A simple extension cord being overloaded resulted in damages of roughly $300,000.”

No one appears to have been injured in the fire.

This information is presented as a way to help keep our community safer and is not meant to be taken as legal advice. However, the Oklahoma City apartment fire attorneys at the Abel Law Firm have helped clients secure financial compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. If you or someone you love has been injured because of a careless landlord or property owner, contact us today for a free consultation.

Ed Abel Named Oklahoma City Personal Injury Litigator of the Year

Ed Abel was awarded the Litigator of the Year award as recognition of his tremendous success in the courtroom defending the lives of Oklahomans, and his unique service as a true son of the State of Oklahoma. He has won some of the largest verdicts in Oklahoma's history, and he and his team have successfully argued against harmful tort reform laws in the state Supreme Court. His impact is so widespread across the state that Governor Mary Fallin declared May 1st as "Ed Abel Day."

Get a free case review