Jet Ski Safety
When the weather starts to heat up and summer hits, it seems as if everyone descends upon the lake at the same time. Fishing boats, speed boats, jet skis, swimmers, and others take to the water to keep cool during the hot months. While hanging out at the lake can be an enjoyable American pastime, it can turn dangerous if people behave recklessly or are inattentive while on the water. Knowing the safety risks of jet skis can help to keep you and your family safe this upcoming summer season.
Jet skis are powerful vehicles that can cause serious injury if not operated properly. Some common causes of jet ski accidents include:
- Excessive speed
- Riding too close to other watercraft or people
- Hitting a rock or bump in shallow water
- Making turns without looking for passing traffic
- Jet skiing while intoxicated
- Miscommunication between watercraft
The above list of behaviors is characteristic of reckless and inattentive riders who do not take preventative steps to avoid an accident. If you plan to use a jet ski or will ride on one with a friend or family member, consider the following safety tips:
- Always wear a brightly colored life vest
- Never jet ski while drunk and report those who do
- Remember to go slow in “no wake” zones near shore
- Always look for other traffic before changing direction or making a sharp turn
- Communicate your turns and movements to other water users by using hand signals
- Always keep a safe distance between your jet ski and other personal watercraft or swimmers
- Take a jet ski safety course
Following these simple preventative tips can help to keep you safe in the water so that you are not involved in a serious accident. Sometimes, however, an accident can happen so suddenly that it is impossible to avoid a collision.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a jet ski accident because of someone else’s negligence, you may have grounds to initiate a lawsuit for compensation to cover your injuries and damages.
To learn more about jet ski accidents and injury liability, don’t hesitate to contact the experienced Oklahoma personal injury attorneys at the Abel Law Firm by calling (405) 239-7046 to discuss your case.