As awareness about the environmental repercussion of fuel-powered vehicles becomes more widespread, more and more people are using their feet to get around. Bicycles have dramatically increased in popularity within the last five years. While bikes can be a fun and cheap way to travel, it is important that cyclists heed all safety precautions when riding, as an accident could result in serious injury or death.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident because of another person’s recklessness or negligence, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your losses. Contact an Oklahoma bicycle accident attorney at the Abel Law Firm to discuss your legal options. Call 1-800-739-ABEL to schedule a free case evaluation with a qualified attorney.
When riding your bicycle, follow all laws regarding bicycle safety and usage. Bicyclists are exceptionally vulnerable to injury if they are involved in an accident. The following recommendations can help keep you safe while you peddle your way across town:
- Always wear a helmet
- Use lights on the front and back of your bicycle when riding at night
- Wear bright clothing
- Apply reflective gear to your jacket or backpack
- Make eye contact with drivers before assuming the right-of-way
- Bike defensively
- Do not wear headphones, as they decrease your ability to detect and avoid hazards
- When available, ride in bike lanes
- Avoid roads with heavy, fast traffic
- Use bike trails whenever possible
Although these safety tips will greatly reduce your chances of accident and injury, there is no guarantee.
If you have been injured by a negligent driver, they may be liable for your damages. Contact the Oklahoma personal injury lawyers of the Abel Law Firm to discuss your case. Call 1-800-739-ABEL for a free consultation.