Oklahoma Car Accident Attorneys
If you suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one in a car accident in Oklahoma City, you should not have to pay out of pocket for medical care, damaged property, and other expenses that inevitably pile up following a serious accident. You and your family may qualify to receive monetary compensation for your medical bills and treatment, lost wages, suffering and other damages if the accident was caused by the reckless and negligent actions of another person. A compassionate, knowledgeable personal injury attorney at the Abel Law Firm will thoroughly review the details of case your case for free and help guide you through the legal process.
Since 1976, the Oklahoma car accident lawyers at the Abel Law Firm have the experience of thousands of cases, taken on all over the state of Oklahoma. Over the last 46 years, we have acquired garnered a reputation for our knowledge and skill in navigating the most complex areas of personal injury law. The attorneys at our firm have an AVVO rating of 10 and are listed as Super Lawyers.
For more than 40 years, the Abel Law Firm has dedicated to their efforts toward the Oklahoma City community. We perceive the people we represent as our family and friends. We work tirelessly to protect the rights of Oklahoma City residents who have suffered a traumatic car accident and are prepared to do the same for you. If you’re considering legal representation for your car accident case, an attorney at the Abel Law Firm will provide you with comprehensive and efficient guidance during this trying time. When you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s possible that another party may owe you compensation. To begin working on your case, contact an Oklahoma car accident attorney from the Abel Law Firm. Call us today at (405) 239-7046, fill out our email form, or chat live with a representative to schedule a free initial consultation.
Do I need a car accident attorney?
At the Abel Law Firm, we recommend that any injured victim or family member who has lost a loved one as a result of a car accident seek the legal guidance of an experienced attorney. As an injured victim, you may be legally entitled to receive compensation to cover some of the costs you’ve incurred because of another party’s negligence or recklessness.
Without a skilled attorney, it’s unlikely you’ll receive the full compensation you deserve as those who venture into the legal process alone are typically awarded much less. Insurance companies are often motivated to offer lump-sum settlements quickly. If you do not know how much your claim is worth, you are vulnerable to accepting a settlement that is not large enough to pay for all your future expenses. An injury lawyer will estimate your future costs, place a value on any non-economic damages, and negotiate with the other parties to get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
The legal process can be especially daunting for those who attempt to settle on their own, which is why you should entrust this task to a law firm with decades of experience. This may be your first time filing an injury claim, but it certainly isn’t ours. Let us handle the paperwork, phone calls with the insurance company and negotiations so that you can recover from your injury with peace of mind. We provide free initial consultations and guarantee that your case will be handled effectively.
Why choose the Abel Law Firm to handle my case?
There are a number of Oklahoma City personal injury firms to choose from. However, not all law firms are able to deliver consistent results to their clients. The following qualities set the Abel Law Firm a tier above the rest:
Experience: Few firms in Oklahoma City can claim the same level of success and reputation that the Abel Law Firm has acquired in the last 42 years. The attorneys at our firm have over 150 years of combined experience. Our partners and associates specialize in various practice areas of personal injury law and are prepared to use their combined skills towards your case.
Track record: The attorneys at our firm have a record of success in the many cases they are asked to take on. Some substantial settlements and verdicts awarded to our clients are $3,000,000 for auto negligence involving the death of a child, $1,973,020 for auto negligence involving severe injuries, and $925,000 for auto negligence texting while driving.
Client satisfaction: At the Abel Law Firm, our legal staff treats our clients with compassion and are sympathetic towards their current situation. We work hard to ensure our clients feel there is an open line of communication and understand during this difficult time. Read what our past clients have to say in their testimonials about their experience with our firm.
Our award-winning team: The attorneys at the Abel Law Firm have earned a national reputation for their work on behalf of those who have suffered car accident- related injuries. Ed Abel currently has the highest rating by the Martindale peer review system and was also president of the Oklahoma Trial Lawyers Association. T. Luke Abel an has an AVVO rating of 10. Our attorneys are Super Lawyers and members of the American Association for Justice.
Accidents and Compensation
The unfortunate truth is that all drivers and passengers are at risk of being involved in an accident each time they take to the road. Because of the inherent danger that accompanies commuting, all drivers should stay alert, sober, and cautious when they are behind the wheel.
The smallest oversight can result in life-changing injuries or death to those involved in an accident. When the error of another person leaves you coping with a new set of challenges, we are ready to help. Despite the incredibly large number of accidents that happen daily in America, each and every case is unique. They can have many underlying causes, including:
- Driver Error: Driver error injuries can be severe and include multi-vehicle and truck collisions and pedestrian injuries. These types of errors caused by another person’s negligence or recklessness should not have caused your injury and should not continue to cost you money from ongoing medical bills and the lost wages you’ve had to go without as you recover.
- Reckless Driving: At the Abel Law Firm, we have little tolerance for reckless drivers. If someone else’s poor driving decisions have caused damage or injury, you shouldn’t be expected to pay for such expenses.
- Drunk Driving: Accidents involving drunk driving including dram shop and DUI or DWI can have cataclysmic effects on a victim’s life. A skilled attorney will work to ensure that you are well represented in your case against a drunk driver.
- Pedestrian Accidents: As a pedestrian, motorists are expected to be aware and cautious of your presence. If you sustained a severe injury such as broken bones, brain damage, or crushed lungs we urge you to seek the legal assistance of a practiced attorney to protect your rights.
- Car Defects or Malfunctions: Defects as a result of flawed manufacturing or poor design can cause severe damage to cars and drivers. The attorneys at the Abel Law Firm will fight to get the expenses you’ve incurred from medical bills, property damage and death covered.
- Highway Defects: A defective highway with potholes, lack of signs or construction negligence create extremely dangerous driving conditions. Driving on highways already requires that drivers practice extreme attentiveness; but when negligence and reckless execution of safety precautions are involved, highway accidents can become numerous and catastrophic. At the Abel Law Firm we are prepared to pursue negligent parties in order to protect your rights as a victim.
If you have suffered losses from a car accident that was not your fault, you may be eligible to receive compensation. Depending on the circumstances, you could be repaid for:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
At the Abel Law Firm, our Oklahoma car crash lawyers have the experience and resources necessary to help you receive reparations for your suffering.
What To Do After a Car Accident
The moments immediately following a car accident are crucial to protect your safety and your rights. The following steps ensure that your health and legal standing are protected:
- Call 911: Call the police to come help document the scene. If you or another party involved are seriously injured, make sure to request an ambulance. The responding police officer will secure the scene and make a report. This police report will be important if you later choose to bring legal action in the form of a civil suit, so request a copy of it.
- Document the Scene: If you are not in need of emergency services and are able, document the scene to the best of your ability. Taking photographs of the damage and scene from different angles provides a valuable perspective on how the accident occurred.
- Exchange Information: Though the responding officer will typically collect all involved parties’ contact information, it is always a good idea to go ahead and exchange names, phone numbers, and emails with other involved parties and any witnesses.
- Seek Medical Care: No matter if you think you are suffering from serious injuries or not, it is smart to have a doctor evaluate you following a collision. Some accidents leave victims with injuries that can’t be seen, such as concussions. Additionally, a medical evaluation has a practical function as far as your legal status is concerned. If you decide to file an injury claim but do not have proof of a medical evaluation, the at-fault party’s insurer or lawyer may question the severity or cause of your injuries.
- Report the Accident to your Insurer: Your car insurance company will need to be notified of the accident. Many companies have made reporting collisions easier than ever with mobile applications, user-friendly web interfaces, or a dedicated phone line. Notify them of your accident as soon as you are able.
- Keep Records: Any notices, bills, and statements that you receive related to your accident should be kept in one place. In the event that you decide to take legal action to hold the at-fault party responsible, a digital or physical paper trail of your expenses is essential.
- Speak with an Injury Lawyer: The guidance of a skilled lawyer will alleviate you of both the legal and administrative burden of managing your case. Not only will your lawyer be able to help you make sense of your options, but they will improve your legal outcome.
- Keep a Journal: If journaling isn’t something you practice in your personal life, this may feel like an odd suggestion. However, jotting down what you remember of the events surrounding the accident in addition to chronicling your recovery is an important benchmark in proving how your injuries are impacting you.
Even if you are unable to complete all of these steps, be sure to contact a lawyer. They can guide you in the right direction no matter the circumstances of your case.
Car Accident Statistics
The Oklahoma Highway Safety Crash Facts Book recorded that in 2017 there were 657 statewide accident-related fatalities. This figure marks a 4.37% decrease from the previous year, in which 687 liver were claimed in Oklahoma accidents.
Impaired driving was the source of the majority of fatalities at 171 deaths, with speeding and large commercial vehicles following close behind. 2017 Oklahoma crash facts reveal that each day 196 collisions occurred, killing nearly two people, and injuring 91 people. These stats reveal that everyone on and around the road is vulnerable, no matter if they are a driver, passenger, cyclist, motorcyclist, or pedestrian.
Further pinpointing dangerous times to drive, more collisions were recorded in October than any other month of the year, while Friday proved to be the day when most collisions occurred. Crash facts found that more accidents occurred between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. compared to any other time of day.
According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, there is a car accident every 8 seconds in the US. In all likelihood, everyone will be involved in at least one automobile accident in his or her lifetime. In the event that you or someone you love sustains serious injury, it is imperative that you have an experienced Oklahoma car accident lawyer on your side.
Frequently Asked Questions
A serious injury can quickly complicate your life. If you are serious about finding the right lawyer, we know you have questions. We’ve compiled some frequently asked questions for your convenience. However, to discuss your case in more detail with one of our car accident lawyers, give us a call today at (405) 239-7046 for a free case evaluation.
Can I Afford to Hire a Lawyer from Abel Law Firm?
Yes. We know that as an injury victim, you are already dealing with a somewhat sensitive financial situation. Medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage all come with a pretty serious sticker price. That is why the injury attorneys at Abel Law Firm work on a contingency basis. This means that we don’t have any fees upfront. You only pay us for our services if we are able to successfully secure a favorable settlement or verdict for you. In the event that we fail to recover any compensation, you will never owe us anything.
What if I Was Partially at Fault?
Oklahoma Statute Title 23 §13-14 outlines that under the doctrine of comparative negligence, your award will be reduced according to the percentage you are found at fault for the accident. If you are more than 50% responsible for the accident, you will be barred from recovering any compensation. This means that if you incur $100,000 of damages and you are found 25% responsible for the accident, you will only be able to recover $75,000.
When Should I Seek Medical Treatment?
Seek medical treatment as soon as possible following a collision. Even if you believe that your injuries are not serious, if you plan on taking legal action against the party that caused your accident, it is important that you have your medical condition evaluated. Moreover, many injuries related to collisions are not accompanied by apparent external injuries. If a head injury like a concussion goes undiagnosed and untreated, the consequences could ultimately be fatal.
The Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers at the Abel Law Firm will fight for you. Our personal injury lawyers have represented thousands of car accident victims and families. We understand how emotionally difficult it can be to recover from a car accident. We’ve also witnessed firsthand how injury victims and their families have benefitted from the knowledge of a reliable lawyer.
At the Abel Law Firm, we are prepared to provide you exceptional legal representation from the moment you step into our offices. This is why, for more than 46 years, our attorneys have worked non-stop to ensure our clients get what the results their case deserves. We practice injury law because we care about your future after an injury temporarily derails your life. A good legal outcome can give you the resources that you need to move on, and we are here to help make sure that you are supported.
If you have been the victim of a car accident, you should not have to bear the consequences alone. Contact the Oklahoma car accident attorneys at the Abel Law Firm at (405) 239-7046. Make the first step toward justice today.