Concussions: A Serious Consequence of Whiplash
Posted on Thursday, May 25th, 2023 at 1:02 am
One of the hidden dangers of car accidents is the potential for whiplash and the severe consequences it can cause, including concussions. This blog explores the link between whiplash and concussions, the symptoms to look out for, the long-term effects, and how our dedicated team of Oklahoma City whiplash injury lawyers can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
What Is Whiplash?
Whiplash is a common injury that occurs when the head jerks back and forth rapidly due to a sudden impact, such as a car collision. This rapid back-and-forth movement can strain and damage the soft tissues in the neck and upper back, leading to pain, stiffness, and limited mobility. However, many people may not realize that whiplash can also result in a concussion, which adds another layer of complexity to your recovery.
How Can Whiplash Cause Concussions?
During a car accident, the forceful movement of the head can cause the brain to shake within the skull. This movement can result in a concussion, a traumatic brain injury caused by bruising on the brain. The sudden jolt and rapid change in motion can disrupt the brain’s normal functions, leading to symptoms that can significantly impact your daily life.
Recognizing the symptoms of a concussion is crucial in seeking the proper medical attention and support. If you’ve experienced whiplash, be mindful of the following signs that may indicate a concussion:
- Headaches: Persistent or recurring headaches, especially ones that worsen over time.
- Dizziness and balance issues: Feeling lightheaded, unsteady, or having trouble maintaining balance.
- Cognitive difficulties: Difficulty concentrating, memory problems, or feeling mentally foggy.
- Sensitivity to light and noise: Increased sensitivity to bright or loud sounds.
- Fatigue: Unexplained exhaustion or a lack of energy.
- Sleep disturbances: Trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or excessive drowsiness during the day.
- Mood changes: Unexplained irritability, anxiety, or depression.
Long-Term Effects of Concussions
While some concussion symptoms may resolve relatively quickly, others can linger or worsen over time. Long-term effects of concussions can include:
- Post-Concussion Syndrome: Some individuals may experience persistent symptoms for weeks or months after the initial injury, affecting their daily activities, work, and overall quality of life.
- Cognitive Impairment: Concussions can impact memory, attention span, and other cognitive functions, making it difficult to focus and perform everyday tasks.
- Emotional and Behavioral Changes: Concussions can contribute to mood swings, anxiety, depression, and personality changes, affecting relationships and overall well-being.
Compensation for Concussions After a Crash
The combined effects of whiplash and a concussion can take a sharp toll on your quality of life, impact your ability to work, and cause lasting mental and emotional problems. It’s vital to pursue maximum compensation for a concussion after an accident, and our attorneys can help you seek compensation for:
- Medical bills related to your injuries, including the cost of future treatments you need
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Diminished quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Damaged personal property
How Our Oklahoma City Whiplash Injury Lawyers Can Help
You could pursue compensation for whiplash or a concussion alone, but doing so means you risk losing your case or not recovering all the money you need. Here are a few ways we can help you recover compensation for a concussion:
- Thorough Investigation and Documentation: We can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, including reviewing police reports, medical records, and any available surveillance footage or witness statements. This documentation can help establish a clear link between the car accident, the resulting whiplash, and your concussion.
- Expert Medical Evaluation: To build a solid case, obtaining a comprehensive medical evaluation from experts in traumatic brain injuries is crucial. Our legal team can help you find medical professionals specializing in diagnosing and treating concussions. These experts will assess the extent of your concussion, document its impact on your life, and provide valuable testimony to support your claim.
- Calculating Damages: Determining the full extent of damages resulting from a concussion can be complex. We can carefully calculate the damages you are entitled to, including medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and diminished quality of life.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies can be challenging, especially when obtaining fair compensation for a concussion. We can skillfully advocate for your rights to help ensure that your concussion and its consequences are accurately represented.
- Litigation and Court Representation: While most personal injury cases are resolved through negotiations, some require litigation. If the insurance company doesn’t agree that a fair settlement cannot be reached, our dedicated team is prepared to take your case to court. We can meticulously prepare your case, present strong arguments, and fight tirelessly for your rights before a judge and jury.
Call Our Personal Injury Lawyers
Our Oklahoma City concussion lawyers know how devastating these injuries are and want to help you rebuild your life. Call Abel Law Firm today at (405) 239-7046 or fill out our contact form for a complimentary consultation.