How long after hit and run will police contact you
Posted on Wednesday, March 1st, 2023 at 5:32 pm
Hit and run accidents can be a traumatizing experience, both physically and emotionally. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for the driver who caused the accident to flee the scene, leaving the victim alone to deal with the aftermath. In such cases, one of the most pressing questions is, “How long after a hit and run will police contact you?” In this blog post, we’ll address this question and provide insight into what happens when a hit and run occurs, how police investigate, when they stop investigating, and how a lawyer can help.
What Happens in a Hit and Run?
When a hit and run occurs, the priority is ensuring everyone involved is safe and receives any necessary medical attention. Next, the injury victim should contact the police immediately and provide as much information about the incident as possible, including the make and model of the vehicle, the license plate number, and a description of the driver.
How Do Police Investigate a Hit and Run?
Once the police arrive at the scene, they will take statements from witnesses and gather physical evidence, such as photos of tire tracks or debris from the vehicle. They will also check surveillance footage in the area and may issue a public appeal for any information about the incident. If the victim is injured, the police may also take them to the hospital for treatment.
How Long Before the Police Stop Investigating a Hit and Run?
The length of time police investigate a hit and run varies depending on the complexity of the case and the resources available to the department. In some cases, police may make an arrest within hours of the incident. In other cases, the investigation may continue for weeks, months, or even years. Generally, police will continue to investigate until they’ve exhausted all leads or identified the driver responsible for the hit and run.
When Will the Police Contact You?
If you’re the victim of a hit and run, the police will likely contact you as soon as possible after the incident. However, it’s important to remember that police may not be able to provide updates on the investigation every day or even every week. In some cases, the investigation may take some time to progress, and the police may only be able to contact you periodically to provide updates.
Why Do Some Drivers Leave the Scene of an Accident?
While it’s difficult to understand why someone would leave the scene of an accident, there are several reasons why drivers may flee after causing a hit and run. These include:
- Fear of getting caught – One of the most common reasons drivers leave the scene of an accident is fear of getting caught. If the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, driving without a license, or engaging in other illegal activity, they might worry about the consequences of being caught by the police.
- Lack of insurance – If the driver doesn’t have insurance, they may leave the scene to avoid being held responsible for any damages or injuries resulting from the accident.
- Panic or shock – In some cases, drivers may flee the scene of an accident out of panic or shock. They may not fully understand the accident’s severity or may be too overwhelmed to think clearly.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Hit and Run Accident?
While the police will investigate the hit and run, it’s also essential to consider hiring a lawyer to help protect your legal rights and navigate the complex legal system. Here are a few reasons why:
- Maximizing compensation – A lawyer can help you understand your legal options for seeking compensation for any injuries or damages resulting from the hit and run. They can also negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and help you pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible.
- Gathering evidence – A lawyer can also help gather additional evidence to support your case, such as eyewitness testimony or expert analysis of the accident scene. This evidence can be critical in proving the other driver’s fault and helping you seek fair compensation.
- Protecting your rights – A lawyer can also help protect your legal rights and ensure that you’re not taken advantage of by insurance companies or other parties involved in the accident. They can also guide you through the legal process.
Oklahoma City Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
While the police investigation is crucial in a hit and run accident, it’s also essential to consider hiring a lawyer to protect your legal rights and pursue fair compensation for any injuries or damages. If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run, don’t hesitate to contact the Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers with Abel Law Firm at (405) 239-7046 to get started with a free consultation.